This one-off battle celebrated the 50th anniversary of the original Ford Mustang and the Morris Cooper S (the giant-killer of Bathurst 1966), with competitors drawn from the Historic Touring Car ranks.
Muscle Car Masters has been run and won for another year – the Meetings 10th!
Run across 3 different circuits in all sorts of weather, the MMW Race Team were kept very busy over the 3 day meet, with AB’s car (the original Manton car) and Joe Dominello’s car both at the ever popular event.
- AB’s Mini qualified on the front row for all the races but in Race 1 the power wire to the solonoid broke while he was in 3rd position outright causing him to retire early. Joe came 17th.
Once the repairs were made, AB led all 4 races outright on Sunday producing very impressive speeds against the big V8′s!
- Race 2 saw AB pipped by 2/10ths of a second by one of the “Stangs”. Joe again came 17 out of 42 cars.
- Race 3 was the “Minis vs Mustang” race, that saw AB again lead most of the way only for the Trengrove Mustang to pass him down the straight to the awaiting chequered flag. Joe improved his times and came 14 out of 27 cars.
- Race 4 produced a good dice beteeen AB and Graham Russell, but AB eventually won quite comfortably, in heavy rain which was challenging! Joe’s wipers failed him making a slippery track down right dangerous!
- Race 5 was the last race of the day. AB again led most of the race with the Falcon Comet catching and passing him with two laps to go (it was only later discovered that the Falcon was running modern disc brakes instead of the original drums – which ofcourse is not allowed in a Historic category).
So it was another successful race meeting for MMW & the Manton Mini.
YOUTUBE footage is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxoUjF-CIm0
Also check out the photos HERE